Thursday, June 25, 2009

a passage...


Cool moment just now.

Just finished writing my first sermon 'back at it' after a three and a half year hiatus.

It clocks in at 15 pages which makes me a bit nervous as I'm speaking as a guest at another Church and they try to stay at a half-hour in terms of the length of sermon.

I've got no intro written, I'll just get right to it and it's typically all the embellishments and detours you take along the way (which can be really fun and sometimes helpful) that tend to stretch the time so here's hoping I'll be alright.

What was significant about this process was that I haven't forgotten how to do it.  I mean, three and a half years is a long time not to do a 'thing'.  I worried that I might have 'lost it'.

But it just came back, like riding a bike.

I was starting to cry near the end.

My hope in sharing this with you is to encourage you to maybe consider picking that 'thing' back up in your life that you've been ignoring for a while.

You might be a screenwriter who hasn't written a script in a long time or a preacher who's stopped doing his best work.  You might be a creative person who hasn't painted or written a song in a dog's age or maybe you just haven't played soccer with you kid in a while and you don't know why.

Maybe you can't remember the last time you told her you love her.

Or Him.

Maybe you should get back up on that bike.

With love and respect.

T

No comments: