Tuesday, July 7, 2009

comforting words...


So I'm working on a sermon that I'll preach at my old Church this coming Sunday.

I'm preaching on the famous passage where Jesus meets the Samaritan woman at the well one dusty afternoon.

It's mere serendipity that I also happen to be planting a new church to be called 'THE WELL' and that I feel as broken in spirit as that unhappy woman drawing water in the heat of the day.

Serendipity...

I'm reading stuff like:

"...whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.  The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life..."  (JN 4:14 ESV)

And I'm feeling it.  Comfort.  Such deep comfort.

("AND WATER WILL SPRING UP IN DRY HEARTS AND HOPE WILL BREAK FORTH IN BROKEN SPIRITS!"  wait for it, this Sunday kids...)

Don't you need it?

Man.

Just finished watching the MJ memorial and it was generally so depressing.  I always find people's expressions of grief so interesting.  I find it so telling the ways in which they seek comfort and attempt to rediscover some connection to God in the midst of their sorrow.  And because it is--after all--Hollywood and entertainment type folk we're talking about here (and they're just a mirror of we, the makers of popular culture anyway so this applicable to all of us) these are the type of people for whom syncretism (the blending of diverse belief systems or faiths) is normative.

And nothing kills the effectiveness of a syncretistic lifestyle or outlook like an objective truth.

"Daddy's dead.  Now what?"

And you can either make answer or you can't.

And that's tough isn't it?

And that's moving.

And that's why I'm doing what I'm doing with my life.  Trying to point to that answer.  Trying to live (falteringly) in such a way so as to demonstrate that answer and lean on that answer and love that answer and communicate and proclaim that answer every chance I get.

'Cause it's very clear that people need an answer.

And it's also very clear that not many people are finding what they need just yet.

Back at it.

T

No comments: