Wednesday, July 22, 2009

scouting...


Went to see this spot today.  The search for a location for THE WELL is on.

One of the hardest things about planting a new church is finding a location that will suit.  The location has to be good--ie: accessible both physically and mentally, meaning people have to think, 'Yeah, I know where that is...'--and the actual spot needs to work in terms of the space for meeting, room for kids, bathrooms and parking.

It's quite the challenge.

I've been wandering the city the past few days looking at spots for lease and hoping that something will jump out at me.  I took the shot of the above spot today knowing that it hadn't jumped out at me.  I took the shot anyway.  The point there is that when you don't 'know' you just go, meaning that you keep working, keep thinking, keep praying all the while waiting to get kicked in the head with something.

Tonight I took my youngest daughter for ice cream while mommy worked out then drove to meet mommy and dropped baby off.  I then scouted two more locations right in the heart of the city.  Seeing them I immediately knew neither would suit.  Leaving the two scout locations I had a split second of discouragement where I thought, "Man, this is impossible, just like last time..." 

I should know.

Five years ago I tried to scout a plant in the same city I'm scouting today.  No matter what I did I couldn't find a spot.  I must have, literally, checked 20-25 different spaces.  The last space I walked into smelled so bad I just 'knew' in that moment that I'd hit a brick wall and that it was time to call it.  

I faced huge cataclysm relationally as a result of that decision.

Nonetheless I knew I'd made the 'right' decision.

Anyway, all that to say that my moment of "I've seen this before..." might have had enough potency to throw me.  However, in the intervening half-decade I've learned a little more, suffered a little more, succeeded a little more and failed a little more.  All of it combining to give me a moment that helped me get past 'that moment' of doubt.

I felt the fear, then started my car and kept driving.

I was no more than a block away when this thought popped into my head.  

"Drive Harvester..."

'Harvester' is one of the main industrial streets in our city.  It stretches from the eastern border of our town right to the western limit.  It's full of office towers and industrial complexes.

Anyway, I listened to the voice in my head and drove to Harvester.  Turned right, drove a mile or so and there it was.

THE space.

Did I just say that?  Would I be audacious enough to admit to myself let alone to my 1,500 or so readers per month that I think I just felt that that space is 'OUR' space?

Well, yes I would.

Am I risking being seen as foolish?  Yes.  Am I risking disappointment?  Yup.  Am I responding in childlike belief and trust?

Yes.

3100 Harvester.

I'm just putting it out there.

I'll keep you posted on how this madness unfolds and if you want to read a note on my visit with an area pastor--a guy who's been doing it here for 15 years--and his take on what he thinks it'll take to build a new church in this city go...


If you want to start coming to church with me in a month or two and '3100 Harvester' (for no apparent reason) 'sounds' good to you, start praying with me and we'll see if we--in fact--end up seeing you there.

Crazy.

Yes, this is crazy.

If you like faith you're going to like THE WELL.

T

No comments: