Saturday, December 4, 2010

Back to basics...

Moved into our new (temporary) place this week.

That's the living room, all decked out for Christmas. Probably the most Christmasy living room we've every had.

Tell you what, having a fireplace for a few months is going to make us make sure the house we buy next has one too.

Move was hard.

We were really organized, but it's always tough. The second day was the worst, nearly sixteen hours long. We're still exhausted from it, two days later.

It took all our strength to up and leave our old place. We really loved it. Had always dreamed of living in that neighborhood but 1) we outgrew it (2 kids when we got it, 4 now) and 2) it's not good (in our opinion) to get too 'settled' somewhere. We find that allowing a 'settlers mindset' to creep in (instead of a 'Sojourners' one) blunts your thirst for the fields of the Lord.

So we moved.

Almost as an act of obedience (or 'Mitzvah' for the Jews) as if we're saying with our actions that we believe there *will* be a better (or more interesting, or more challenging, or more fulfilling, or more stretching or more fun) tomorrow out there for us.

It's tough though. We're feeling this loss for sure.

But simple things are helping. Things like breakfast today (same as always--except the rental kitchen is even LESS user-friendly than that of our last home) or a living room set up for Christmas.

I just finished writing my first sermon in this house. Sat at the dining room table ('cause I don't--and won't--have an office here) put on my headphones and the same CD I've been writing sermons to since I was 20, pulled up a half glass of vino rosso, and did it.

Like I always do.

And it was good. I mean, I haven't preached it yet--tomorrow will tell the tale--but I *know* in my bones that it'll be alright.

Just like I know there's a home out there for us and that a fire's a good thing to have and that my wife and kids are excited for Christmas.

Now if only the Christmas present at the top of MY list didn't cost $50,000...

"Dearest Santa..."

T

No comments: