Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Reflection time...

The funny thing about plans is you've got to make them but, in making them, you're doing two things simultaneously; 1) opening yourself up to a sequence of events that will result in the 'best laid plans' coming to fruition and 2) opening yourself up to a sequence of events that will result in those same 'best laid plans' coming to naught.

Crazy right?

The tendency, when faced with this immutable fact of life is to freeze. That's right, stop.

Many people do this. You can spot 'em if you try, going through the motions of life with no real zest, or focus, or passion or drive or peace.

They're stopped.

I think the logic behind stopping is simple, "If I stop, I'm less likely to get hurt..."

I think that's true.

However, if you stop you're stopped.

It's a tough one.

Being the end of the year my thoughts are quite naturally turning to next year. Things slow down dramatically for me on the show biz front this time of year. We hustle our butts off from September until this week trying to get new contracts in place for next year then, the week before Christmas, everyone just checks out 'till at least the second week of January.

I think I've written at least ten TV series proposals in the past three months. So far none of 'em have locked. Looks like at least one or two of 'em will, but we won't know 'till mid-January earliest.

I could fret about it, but instead I've learned to just enjoy the enforced silence and idleness of these three weeks and to take advantage of the opportunity to sit still and play with my kids and enjoy friends and family.

It's like the breakneck speed at which we live the year slows down for a bit and I get a chance to reflect.

"What do you want to do next year?"

Which leads to, "What do you want to DO?"

Which leads to, "What are you SUPPOSED to be doing?"

Which requires a lot of quiet sitting and reflecting.

I hope you take some time this week and next to do just that.

Sit still, drink some egg nog (with RUM in it) watch the fire and listen to what God might be calling you to DO with 2011, and with your life.

Happy Holidays kids.

T

No comments: