Monday, September 7, 2009

I'll remember this one...

Big day today.

Today was going to be the day I wrote my first sermon for THE WELL.

This is a big deal on several fronts.  1) I haven't been a 'professional preacher' for three and a half years now.  I did get to preach twice this past summer (and was very relieved to discover I haven't completely 'lost it'...) but that was as a guest and there's a big difference between preaching as a guest and preaching in your own church. 2) I'm going to be preaching in (my) 'own' church.  And, since I'm eminently un-hire-able in your typical church that must mean that I'm (together with my family) about to plant another church.  3) I have what might amount to the craziest three weeks of my career thus far ahead of me so I needed to get a head start on some of the writing I'm going to need to be doing in the hopes that I might find a way to stay out head of the curve when it comes to my ongoing workload.

So, here's how the day went:

We started with brunch downtown Burlington.  Benny's is a great diner right on the water.  This is good because 1) it's a diner which means good simple food 2) it's downtown which is good because downtown is better than non-downtown and being downtown helps focus your mind on this city as THE city God has called you to with the Gospel 3) it's by the water and everything is better by the water.

Ultimately it was good because my wife and babies were there with me.

Then, my wife and babies went off to see their 'Grandmamama...' and I got on my bike to ride to Bronte Harbor to do my preliminary dissection.  

This was good because 1) Not having your wife and babies around helps you to ignore them better which is what you have to do when you're writing 2) Bronte harbor is a harbor and harbors are God's country and I needed to talk to God and listen to God so that I could write a good sermon, worthy of the name 3) I wrote surrounded by people which helped to remind me that the Gospel is for people and 4) I wrote surrounded by Gods creation which helped to remind me that the Gospel is all about Him really and 5) I had to ride my bike there which tricks me into staying in shape and that's good 'cause 6) you can't preach very well if you're dead.


Then, because it was too windy by the water (which--in my book--is typically a VERY good thing) I came home, went down into my office and started a new 'sermon book'.  This was momentous because 1) I've always done it this way and this new book is number eight I think which reminds me that I've been a preacher for a very long time (since I was 19) and that helps me have confidence that the same God that called me then is calling me know and will gift me with what I need to do a good job for the sake of His glory and His people 'cause He did it before 2) the sermon book will be deployed in a new church and since I'm eminently un-hire-able... (yada yada yada...you know the rest but please come see us at THE WELL anyway) this is pretty exciting stuff.


Then I wrote until my wrist ached and finished my first--new--sermon which is a good thing because 1) sore wrists for a preacher mean he's out of practice which means he used to be in practice which means he can be in practice again if he keeps at it 2) it means the first sermon is done.

Which is a VERY good thing 'cause I've got a friggin' church to plant kids!

See you Sunday.

T

No comments: