Monday, September 21, 2009

in simplicity...


That's the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood for you.

Weird spot.  

To sit there knowing that where you're sitting was a favorite spot for Frankie Sinatra and his crew is quite the thing.

But on the other hand you realize that said rat pack were just a bunch of dudes who liked good food, pretty women and a lifestyle that smacked of success and/or excess.

'Cause you gotta have money to hit that spot.

This last trip to L.A really impressed on me the divide that exists as a result of our relative poverty or richness.  The more money you have the more able you are to manufacture a life that seems to be 'good'.

Naturally, sometimes good food is just good food and a cool spot is just a cool spot, but it seems that in L.A the good life is compulsively pursued.

Fast forward to this past Saturday when I'd just arrived home, was jet-lagged out of my skull and driving my son to basketball.

Kanye on the stereo.

"My friend showed me pictures of his kids.  And all I could show him was pictures of my cribs. He said his daughter got a brand new report card.  And all I got was this brand new sports car..."

And--while in L.A--my Executive Producer got into a conversation with one of the stars (a lovely lady) and the fact that he's been married 22 years came up.  The star looked at him with deep sincerity and said, "That's what I'm hoping for..."

And this reminded me that all of us need to continually and carefully assess our lives. From the outside you'd think 'the L.A way' is the best way to live but from the inside those who live that way might think that your simple way of living is infinitely more enticing, interesting and fulfilling.

I'm reminded, again, how important it is to 'know' what you've been put on the planet to do and to simply, humbly and thankfully do it.

'Cause if you don't know what you're about you can get confused by all the...


You know?

T

No comments: