Thursday, September 10, 2009

right in the thick of it...


Oh man, oh man what I week I'm having.

That's me 'on-set' in between takes shooting the first round of videos for THE WELL.  We shot some basic introductory type stuff, 'what you can expect' and that sort of thing.  The great part about it is we shot it with my good friend--and genius director/cinematographer/editor--Chris Stacey.

Wait 'till you see how they turned out.  Man, goes to show you--once again--that there's absolutely not substitute for a fabulous camera with glorious lenses and someone at the helm who's got an 'eye' and knows how to paint with light.

Seriously.

In addition we've been sourcing kids stuff, prepping power point, building sermon promo videos, getting promo flyers done, meeting with our worship leader, opening bank accounts, trying to get a screen and projector from a dude who treated me like crap right from the get-go (we ended up finding a different guy who specializes in churches and is going to LEND us a set up until our purchased one arrives...how 'bout that?) forgetting remote power point clickers, making to do lists, getting volunteers in place, helping a couple single moms (one fresh out of prison) move into a new apartment, writing copy for a new TV special we're shooting, studying for 33 interviews I'm doing next week in L.A, and writing my first sermon.

Today I started getting sick.

This always happens to me when I get crazy busy.  My stress gets internalized I think (I'm really trying to stay calm and I feel quite calm but...) and that suppresses my immune system and--bingo bango--I start getting a cold.

My director will be laughing at me and rolling his eyes 'cause I've not once (seriously not once) arrived in L.A for a shoot without being sick to some greater or lesses degree.

At least I'm used to it, have a drug of choice that helps me cope and don't freak out about it like I used to.

Oh...

And I'm meeting a major publisher tomorrow who's interested in a book I'm thinking of.

How'd that happen?

Well, last week we were partying with some of our dearest friends at their house with their kids and ours.  It was sunny, the pool was ninety and the livin' was easy.  Later that night at dinner--yes, our kids are now old enough to babysit THEMSELVES, oh happy day--our friend looks me in the eye and says, "So when are you going to write a book already?"

We'd been talking about our journey, sharing some deep and honest and provocative truths together, 'cause when you've been friends as long as we have you can be your authentic self and don't have to fake it at all, and she just hit me with it.

"Seriously, I'll shop it around if you do."

Kind words from a friend to be sure.  But if that friend also happens to be the director of marketing for a major distribution house you ought to sit up and take notice.

So what'd I do?

I went home and wrote a book proposal the next day.  Sent it to her and waited.

Like two days later she copies me on her email to her boss (the publisher) recommending me to him and attaching the 'one sheet' I'd written for the book idea.

He calls her seven minutes after getting the email.  From the airport.

"I've got to meet this guy.  Can we do it next week?"

And just like that I'm meeting a major publisher tomorrow morning at eight.

Lesson:

You can't make anything happen.  You have to live your life humbly, and as honestly as you can, doing what you feel called to do because you feel called to it and for no other reason.  You must love the people you know without agenda and simply keep walking out your life in relationship. When a moment comes (and it may take years and years) where there's an opening or an opportunity presented, act on it.

Then wait.

And, clearly, we both know (from painful experience) that not every opening turns into anything and I am prepared and ready for tomorrow's meeting to go nowhere.

But I've learned to see every opportunity as a moment upon which you will build your life. Doesn't mean that moment will turn into what you were hoping for but it almost certainly will turn into something.

At some point.

We'll see.

I'm pleased though and grateful and expectant.

And getting sick.

T

No comments: