Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Land of pretension...


Pulled up to our Hotel the other night (here in L.A) and Charlize Theron was pulling up. Seems Dior had an after party going on connected to a premier she was part of.

Paparazzi, videographers, screaming fans, bright lights and...

Rumpled old me getting out of a 'yellow cab' after 17 hours in-transit.

Funny world.

I crashed on the couch in the parking lot (black and fabulous) next to a black and fabulous NBA player with the required iPhone glued to his ear.  Noticed the chandelier.  

Only in a place like L.A--where appearance is everything--would they put an art-installation in the parking lot.

What's interesting is that--once you get to talking with the people who've actually 'made it' in this town--you find that many of the people who play the game by looking as good as that fussy chandelier actually have some very interesting depth to them and some good things to say about life and the struggle.

A reminder to me that I ought to be sure to repent of reverse-discrimination wherein I look down on flashiness automatically assuming it's vacuous because it's fabulous.

Again, the realization is hitting me that everybody has a story and everybody, at the end of the day, is looking to be accepted and to find a way to live, survive, work and make progress.

My interviews are going real well.  Can't wait to get home to my wife, babies and baby-church.

T

No comments: