Thursday, March 5, 2009

150 and counting...


Y'essir, yes Ma'am, you read that right.

This is my one hundred and fiftieth post.

Not bad for a committed non-diarist huh?

Here's what I'm up to today...

Just sent a copy of a script to a writer in L.A.  The script is one I wrote back in 2005, three years into my quest to write/direct for the big-screen.  It was 2002 when it occurred to me that I better start bending my life (right NOW) in the direction of the silver screen or else my dream was going to pass me by.

So I bought this book.

Wrote my first screenplay, "THREE NIGHTS AT SEA" then proceeded to write seven or eight more.

Somewhere along the way I wrote the one I sent out today.

The reason I sent it out is 'cause I'm hoping said L.A writer will do a re-write on it for me.  Why another writer?

Well, for one, I've realized--along the way--that I'm not really a 100% pure, unadulterated, writer.  I'm just not.  I can write.  I 'get' story and have enough literature I.Q that I can recognized bad from good from great when it comes to words on paper.  But I'm not 'just a writer'.  For another, the best thing you can do to make your work great is work with people who are better than you at a thing.  Also, especially with the creative arts, it's very important to get unbiased, outside eyes on your stuff--eyes connected to big mouths who are going to tell you exactly what they really think.

I'm also not 'just a director'.  Directors come in all types.  The thing with Directors is that they don't work that much and, when they do, only work on their own stuff or on stuff someone pays them to make their own for a year or two.

That navel-gazing approach to life isn't enough for me.

I figure story--redemptive storytelling in particular--is important enough that I ought to spend my life not just finding ways to do it myself but finding ways to help others tell their stories as well.  

Which is why I'm a 'Producer'.

If I had to pick on thing to do it'd probably be to Produce.  For one, Producers 'work' a lot more than writers and directors.  For another you've heard it said that 'the director is king'...  Well it's also been said (often in the same breath) that 'the producer is god...' (don't believe me? who--pray tell--accepts the 'Best Picture' Oscar?  Oh yeah, that would be the PRODUCER...) and that kind of power appeals to me.  I just have a hard time knowing that someone else is in direct control of my destiny.  I tend to need to be in charge.  I (like M. Night put it) have a need to lead.

I (if you're reading this here blog for the first time) sound like an egomaniac.

Hope not.

What I'm trying to get across here is the importance of 'knowing' yourself.  Knowing who you are and what you want to do.  I read an Oprah quote (kind of by accident) the other day where she commented on the fact that most of the people she meets who are flabbergasted by her success can't answer her the standard question she lobbies back in response.

"Well, I've been successful because I know what I want.  What do you want?"

And they can't answer her.  

They say they want to be rich or happy but don't know the specifics.

And without the specifics--and the 'why' behind 'em--you probably aren't going anywhere fast friend.

Why do you do what you do?  What is doing what you do going to get you?  What is doing what you do going to give back to the World around you?  Would you like your kids to end up doing what you do?  If asked about the details of what you do could you go on an on about it or would you be boring yourself?  Would you do what you do for free?

If not, you're not living your passion.

Do you want to be in love or not?

Repeat after me...

My name is ___________ and I'm a _____________.

Now go figure out why.

T

No comments: