Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Slumdog...


So first things. 

The positive side.

Wonderfully directed.  Danny Boyle is the man.  I've been a fan of his since way back.  Trainspotting.  28 Days Later.  Sunshine.  'Nuff said.

Encouraging for me as a young director is the style of the film.  Fairly simple compositionally, not impossible to do like--for example--a Michael Bay film.

Wonderfully acted.  The casting department deserves a big bottle of expensive vintage red.  The acting was superb.  Naturally that has a lot to do with Mr. Boyle and with the actors themselves but man, they were nicely cast.

Finely--if classically--structured.  Nicely paced.

Two things about it that left me a little less than totally blown away.

1) Since I saw it this late in the game, what with all the hype around it, the Oscar's sweep etc. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.  This has happened to me before.  It's like I'm the jury influenced by the news.  I was prepared to be AMAZED and wasn't.

2) Much of the tension is built around watching the show unfold and I caught myself thinking several times, "Man, I've already seen 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?' on TV.  Why am I watching a feature film version?"  

I did, however really like the fact that the interrogation is revealed to be on the day of the big night.  That was a nice touch.

The subtextual, 'shit happens/it is written', theme was maybe part of the reason the film didn't blow my mind.  I tend to respond a little more strongly to stories that don't have 'fate' or 'blind determinism' at the root of their 'why'.

But enough negativity.

Certainly a very worthwhile theatrical experience.  I was totally immersed most of the way through.  And considering their 'indie journey' and the great struggle they've endured to reach this point I'm certainly a fan.

My problem is 'The Curios Case of Benjamin Button' left me totally flabbergasted and that's what I was expecting of 'Slumdog'.

Very enjoyable though, certainly worth experiencing.

The cityscapes and child actors will blow your mind.

T


2 comments:

chris jones said...

hilarious! did you watch slumdog tuesday night too! cate and I did as well! I also blogged about it!!

Rob Hall said...

It just ain't your thing.