Monday, March 2, 2009

Movie time...

So I got the completed script yesterday.

It's for 'ONE SUNDAY MORNING' a script I wrote a while back, like more than a year ago, and had a writer in Austin (the great Phil Daay) do a re-write on.  I've had the second pass in my hands since the summer and have been needing to do a 'dialogue pass' on it.

I just never got around to it 'till this week.

It just hit me.  I worked my day to the bone one day, got done ahead of time and just decided to finish the script with the time remaining before dinner.

Sat down.  Did it.  Sent it to Phil.  Got it back two days later.

Printed it today.  Tomorrow Niki will read it, then my business partner will read it.  Then we'll raise the money for it, then we'll shoot it.

I mean, that's the simple (REALLY SIMPLE) version.

My business partner has a distribution/financing meeting tomorrow and I'm supposed to talk to a big U.S distributor tomorrow as well.  We're trying to get all our ducks in a row before we really start to push.

(and I haven't even STARTED talking about 'HARVEST' a sci-fi thriller we've got percolating that's going to ROCK!)

This year is the 'year of the pitch'.  We feel like we really need to take the next twelve to eighteen months to set up a bunch of TV and Film deals.

We want and need to be busy.

The whole reason I'm mention all this to you is because I've had the script in question for more than a year.  I haven't 'done' anything with it 'till now.   I haven't been putting it off on purpose, it just hasn't risen to the top of my mind.  

I've found that you can't force that rising.  Like yeast and bread, it's just got to run it's course. Certainly there's some guilt to be fought off of the 'gee whiz man, you're so lazy!  Why don't you just get to it already?' nature but I've discovered that forcing it is never the right thing to do.

You have to let it rise.

But once it's risen, once you feel that pressure to get the thing done and out there, you need to push, push, push like crazy to get 'er done.

In other news, the domestic distribution deal on our first feature is looking more solid by the day (we've been in negotiations) and it looks like we're getting very close.  The foreign deal is also proceeding nicely so we might have that deal sewn up this month as well.

What's really interesting about all this is how things tend to stretch, stretch, stretch then BOOM! come together all at once.

You just have to be able to wait it out while it rises then rise to the occasion and kill it once it's ready.

I'm starting to feel a little excited about all this.

Just a little.

(really, JUST a little...)

T

No comments: