Wednesday, March 25, 2009

resisting change...


It occurred to me today how resistant we are to change.

I was at the supermarket, buying cheese, just cheese.  So that meant I was headed for the eight items or less line.

I checked the other lines, none of them seemed to be moving any faster, and you know you've got to check for that 'cause sometimes everyone heads for the eight items or less line leaving it slower than the others.

Anyway, I joined the eight items or less and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I kept looking over at the closest 'normal' line and it looked like it was moving faster.  The other people in line with me were also looking.  You could tell we were all thinking the same thing, " 'Gee, that other line is moving faster.  Maybe I should move.  But once I move it's sure to slow down..."

So we all stayed put.

And I realized I had to write about it.

'Cause that 'waiting in line thing' is true not just at the supermarket.

We're reluctant creatures we humans.  We don't want to risk, we don't want to change, we tend to pick the path of least resistance--even with something as innocuous as buying cheese.

How much more then will that same thing be true of our audiences at Church, on TV and at the Theater?

I think the point is this...

You get one or two chances to 'hook' someone.  They're going to check out what you do and in that first or second touch you're either going to gain a fan or not.  If you do gain that fan, you'll probably keep them forever.  If not, you'll probably never see them again.

We're a loyal bunch.

That's why you'll go see a movie with an actor you like in it because that actor is like your favorite cheese.  Or watch a new series from a Producer whose work you've like before.  You trust him/her and assume they're going to be in something you'll end up liking 'cause you've liked what they've done before.

Which is why, when an actor, or a preacher or a producer disappoints us we feel that disappointment deeply.

Which is also why you and I need to be very aware of the first and second impressions we make on people.  

Which is also why we need to keep doing good work, no matter how hard it gets.

Which is why we need to think very hard about cultivating our audience--staying with them--staying in relationship with them over the long term.

'Cause once you've got 'em, you've got 'em.  They'll probably stay in line with you, even if the other ones look like they're moving a bit faster.

T

No comments: