Tuesday, April 7, 2009

flyin' in for a big meeting...


Big meeting today.  Might involve shooting a major feature-length documentary--or series--in China of all places.  I'm about to meet with the V.P of World Expo 2010 in Shanghai--flew into Vancouver today just for the meeting.

Crazy stuff.

A few years back, if you were to tell me I'd be flying five hours to meet a high-level delegation from China, it would have been a stretch for me to believe you.

The thing about this is that it came to us.  

We've connected with a high-raking journalist in Vancouver over the past year.  We've done some work with him and he's come to like us, I think, and trust the kind of work we do.  I was sitting in my office two weeks back and he just called out of the blue.  Told me about this Expo project and said he'd suggested us to the Chinese delegation.

And so here I am.

Once again a reminder that you just never know who you're going to connect with through the work you do nor how the work you do is going to impact those same people nor the way(s) in which that impact might translate to them asking you to do more things with them--unto making further impact.

Encouragement to keep doing what you're doing 'cause you just never know what's going to come of it.

And--total change of subject here--the reason I posted the picture from my flight today was because of all the symmetrical white shapes you can see on the ground.

Lakes?

Nope, patches of forest that have been clear-cut.  Because there are no longer any trees there, the snow piles up on the ground yielding a white patch shaped like the swath our machines have cut through the forest.

Now, it's clear I'm not the 'most' ardent environmentalist but, I will admit, all those white patches gave me pause today.  All the many times I've flown to Vancouver this year, there hasn't been snow over those portions of wilderness so I never had the white to highlight the blight.

Today I saw the fruit of our labor and consumption in a new way.

I feel humbled, and challenged.

Maybe you do to.

T

No comments: