Wednesday, April 29, 2009

where ideas get their start...


For those of you who are show-biz oriented and/or just generally interested in the creative process I thought it might be cool to post a glimpse inside my head.

But since I can't photograph the inside of my skull I figured I'd go to the next best thing, the first stage of an idea past my cranium.

There it is.  

Four blue post-it notes all in a row.  On them the outline and time-breaks for four segments of a new half-hour prime-time nationally distributed bio-documentary television program I'll be producing this year for release the first week of September 2009.

It's called 'UNSCRIPTED' and will take you on a half-hour journey through the life, struggle, art and work of an entertainer you know and possibly admire.

We'll look at their early years, their first big-break, their darkest moment, and the legacy they hope to leave behind as a result of their life and work.

We've had 104 episodes picked up.

The first few guests will be:

George Hamilton
Nigel 'So You Think You Can Dance' Lythgoe
Peter Graves
Richard Bergi
Bob Newhart
Hector Elizondo
Paul Michael Glazer
Cedric the Entertainer
Glen Campbell
Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis
Kathy Ireland
Bruce Jenner
Vicky Lawrence
Pat Boone
Florence Henderson
Steven Cannell
Jose Eber
Erin Brockovich
Anita Pointer
Lou Gosset Jr.
Smokey Robinson

We'll start shooting content in L.A next week.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

The key for me and you to remember here is that these things are always 'one step at a time'. It's important to stay very humble and relaxed and to let the process unfold.  There's no point stressing out too much about the future or about what will go wrong.

If I've learned anything in my career as a Church Planter and Producer so far it's that these things we try to do--things that are ideally rooted in a life-less-ordinary and are therefore somewhat off the grid in terms of normal rhythms and expectations--tend to take on a life of their own and what you and I have to do is stay faithful to what we feel we've been called to do and just keep doing it.

One post-it note at a time...

T


No comments: