Monday, April 13, 2009

work in progress...


So, here's what it takes to do what I do.

For those of you new readers--I'm a Producer/Director in lifestyle/talk television and an emerging (meaning I've only done one so far...) Producer/Director in feature-film.  In addition, I'm an erstwhile Preacher/Church Planter.

Anyway, the desk is deployed in the service of TV production today.

Here's what we're looking at--from left to right...

-The blue post-it note has my flight info for tomorrow's flight.  I get up at 4:30am, fly at 7:00am land--on the other side of the country--at 9:00am (PST) and start shooting at 5:30pm.

-Under the blue post-it note are my longhand estimates of what each of our 'staff' will be making this year.  As part of our overall budget, I have to crunch those salary numbers to 1) make sure we can afford 'em and 2) make sure the staff will do their thing for that number without feeling taken advantage of.

-The two stacks of 8.5/11 paper are episode outlines, telling me what we've already shot, the content and duration.  I use these sheets to make sure I'm covering what's needed.  The sheets exist on my computer screen as well.

-Above and to the left of those sheets are my 1) phone 2) a flower from my daughter in my pen jar 3)my stapler 4) my glass of water--I drink H20 non-stop when I'm working so that I don't get hungry and snack unnecessarily 5) a picture of my babies so that I keep the 'why' in perspective.

-Center frame we have 1) my desk blotter where I scribble notes during phone calls 2) My MacBook which is like a second--and much more reliable--brain 3) my BOSE earphones which allow me to 'zone out' and work no matter where I am.  As long as the soundtrack is consistent I always feel somewhat 'at home' 4) a breakdown of all the new interviews--50 of 'em--that I have to write into the next 90 episodes.

-Above and to the right we have 1) my 'pay these bills' stand where urgent bills are on-display so I don't forget them 2) my external drive where I back my files up 3) my latest stack of receipts--one of probably 20 stacks representing probably 60K in expenses from last year 4) all the CD's that make up my iTunes file in their original--physical--form.  5) an outline of all the new 'dramatic' segments we shot--25 of 'em--to be incorporated into these next 90 episodes.

-At the far right of frame, from the bottom up, we have 1) a stack of scripts and concepts we're developing 2) my printer 3) a form--on top of the printer--for an application related to a new project I'm working on (Church-related) that I can't talk about yet.

How's that?

The life--and desk--of a producer...

Who is procrastinating.

T

No comments: