Monday, August 31, 2009

coming together and falling apart...

Got some cool shots today at Hamilton's big Cathedral.  I've always wanted to go check it out so today I just drove over and--lo and behold--it was under construction and, wouldn't you know it, construction workers are typically friendlier than your average Catholic priest so they just let me in.

Awesome.

And a 'sign' that things are coming together.  The reason I wanted to take shots was for the first sermon series that we'll launch at my new church (THE WELL).  The series will be called CHURCH. and will run for three weeks.  I need imagery to run on-screen during the services as my hope is to visually 'brand' each series with shots that connect to the theme we're exploring.

Figured I might as well 'go big' with the shots.  So, getting into my 'first choice' was something I took as an encouragement, a sign of things to come.  

But at the same time it's important to say that I'm taking the shots because the guy who was going to take the shots can't do it.  It's equally important to state that the guy is my friend--and will continue to be regardless of what he DOES or DOESN'T end up doing--while saying that he SAID he'd do it and I was counting on him.

Here's the point--and I've said it before--you CANNOT plant churches or work in show business or do any kind of pioneering, risk-taking work, unless you're willing to do it ALL yourself.

NOTE: I'm not saying you need to think you're AWESOME at everything--cause I'm clearly not and you're probably not either--but you must be competent and confident enough to try and do your best.

'Cause at the end of the day you have to take responsibility and no one else does.

It's your dream.  It's your job.  It's your privilege.  It's your responsibility.

It's your CHURCH.

So after taking all these shots I went to our local sound vendor and priced out a sound system that's 1) small enough 2) loud enough 3) portable enough and (most importantly) 4) simple enough for...

Me to set up and tear down every Sunday by myself.

(and maybe my homeboys ML or CS with me once in awhile)

'Cause, at the end of the day, you got Jesus, your wife (and in my case your kids) and you and--until you get 'into it' with this thing you're dreaming of, be it a church plant or a movie or a TV series or a business--you're going to have to.

DIY.

T

No comments: