Tuesday, August 11, 2009

this is a big one...


Momentous post.  Life changing.

Big moment.  You're looking at a shot of the landing page for our new church, THE WELL, coming to Burlington, ON, Canada this fall.

This is a really big deal.  I have the runs (TMI, I know...) because of it.  See, I've done this before--planted a church--and I'm not saying that to assert any kind of know-it-all-ness but rather in order to simply state that I know we're about to get our butts kicked.

All over Halton Region.

See, church planting, is playing for keeps.  You don't just 'start' one of these and walk.  My last church, which we planted in Janauary 2001 from which we retired January 2006, still haunts my dreams.  No joke.  I dream about them regularly.  Care deeply for them.  Pray that all will be well with them and that they--led by their leaders and the Holy Spirit--will see things through and persevere.

Five years there, at least a year and a half getting it ready and we left too soon.  This time, with THE WELL, I'll be damned if I leave it, at all, let alone early.  We're playing for keeps this time.

And I feel ready in a way that I didn't ten years ago.

I was 25 in 1998, had just launched my TV production firm, having resigned my job as a 'youth-church-planting youth pastor' and was trying to plant a second youth-church at a distance with our friends who had moved to Florida to take point while Niki and I did TV and drove south for two weeks out of every eight to help.

That thing tanked.

And that led us to try again, this time independently, with what would become 'Freedomize Toronto'.  Problem was we were too young.  Too young to know better (or much at all).  Too young to be humble.  Too young to be wise.  Too young to have suffered much.  Too young to know what was coming.

That thing grew--and is thriving today.

But, man, if you knew the stories that cropped up along the way you'd--with me--agree that we're all fools and Jesus builds His Church not through us but mostly in-spite of us.  Yes He uses us--and the people He brings us--but man do we ever make a mess of it.

My hope is that, this time, being 35, father of four, husband of 13 years and counting (and happily so) failure many times over, arrogant know-it-all laid low, sinner, idolater brought to his knees and his senses, preacher sidelined and brought out of retirement, entrepreneur despised by many in authority, leader followed by some and hated by many, son, brother, wanderer, visionary who talks too much and too soon, tough-minded stubborn donkey (as my business partner calls me) a lover of Jesus and a fool who's surrendered at last, will help me do a slightly better job.

For the sake of His glory and His people.

And it's not really my job to do but I do have tasks to perform and responsibilities to execute.

I'm sober.  I'm a little scared but not nearly as much as I used to be.  I'm eager.  I'm stressed but certain things will work themselves out as they always have a tendency to do.  I'm juggling what I do (and how) with the way the books will tell you it ought to be done all the while trying to listen to Jesus and find my way forward.

As He leads.

THE WELL.  A new church I'm already falling in love with.  Coming to Burlington--my home town--this fall.

(happy to be able to say this...)

Watch the site for details.

T

1 comment:

The Lam said...

Bust out the Heineken.