Monday, August 10, 2009

not-so-much fun in-process...


That first image is courtesy of a large church in texas.  I was checking out some of their structure, their teaching and worship style (cyber-stalking is a KEY part of figuring out what 'to' and 'not to' do when it comes to planting a church yourself...) and came across this piece.  I sent it to some of my guys saying, 'Yo', this type of approach to 'brand' is dope...'  That'd be the bar--as far as I'm concerned when it comes to THE WELL.


This one is 'the bar' in terms of what I'd like our setting to look/feel like someday.  The space it looks like we're going to be in to start is sort of a 'theater in the round' type space and--since it looks like a 1950's union hall--we're going to have to work very hard with drapery and projection (with all but no $'s to start) to make it look cool-ish.

What I like about this space is the focal points.  I imagine the foreground, in and amongst the chairs, is where the speaking would take place and the 'band' would fill the space almost directly under the curtains.  Eventually the black space to the upper left and right would be filled with a central screen on each side.

A guy can hope.

And the point is that if you're not hoping for something you'll get nothing.  Right?  See, you have to 'see' something in your mind's eye before you can start walking towards it.  If you don't have a dream you have nowhere to start.

Many times (and I deal with this personally as many of the people closest to me are not optimist/dreamer types but rather pessimist/practical types) you'll face negative feedback when you dare to dream.  

And some caution is warranted.  Many times in my life (when younger especially) I would pitch grand dreams or schemes that would never end up coming about leaving me with more of a 'talker' reputation than you'd choose if you could.

I remember dealing with a tension back then that's still with me now.  That tension has to do with 1) how you manage to keep dreaming big dreams when people are giving you a hard time (sometimes justifiably) about it and 2) how you 'undersell' those dreams in the short term so that you don't come off all sizzle and no steak while still keeping enough 'excitement' to the dream proclaimed that people are motivated to act.

It's tough.

I know that for me personally I can't live without dreaming.  I'm always thinking ahead.  The challenge for me is to learn (and keep learning) how to 'stay' in one place doing one (or two or three) thing well long enough that your dreams can become reality--understanding that the end-result often looks 'in reality' almost nothing like it did in your imagination.

I don't want to disappoint.  I want to inspire.

Some days (like today) I feel really stuck between the two and that's part of this job (the job of imagination made real...) that I find tough by times.

Maybe you do to.

I'd love to hear how you find a way to keep at it when the tensions are getting you down.

T

2 comments:

Little Locket Key said...

The book "The War of Art" written by screenwriter, Stephen Pressfield, might appeal to you. He describes the tension in the artistic process as you're confronting. It's a helpful read.

AND...I am very excited about the church you're imagining...I've been waiting!

Todd Cantelon said...

Thanks Kat,

I've read TWOA. Loved it. You're right about its applicability. I should re-read it.

Glad to hear you're excited about THE WELL. Are you anywhere near Burlington ON? Might we see you in-person some time?